Makki di roti [Corn flat bread] Ingredients:
|Punjabi Traditional Chapati|
Whole wheat flour – ½ cup [OPTIONAL]
Warm water to make dough
Salt – as per taste
Ghee/butter – 2 tbsp to shallow fry
- Prepare dough using cornmeal, whole wheat flour, warm water and some salt. Knead well to make smooth and soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal-sized balls.
- Lightly flour a rolling surface and with the help of rolling pin, roll each ball into a circle. The roti should be little thick. Or you can roll the dough between two plastic sheets for easy transfer. [Authentically makki di roti should be made using your palms not the rolling pins. But it needs some practice.]
- Heat a griddle or tawa. Place the roti on it and let it cook for one side on moderate heat.
- Turn the roti and spread a little ghee or butter on the top surface. Let both the sides cook evenly till it becomes golden. Serve hot, topped with some butter or pure ghee.