|Bharwa Karela - Punjabi Vegetarian Food Recipe|
Bharwa Karela – Stuffed Bitter Gourd:
Bharwa Karela – bitter gourd stuffed with spice powders and sautes with caramelized onions.
Bharwa Karela Ingredients:
|Bharwa Karela - Stuff Bitter Gourd|
¾ tsp turmeric powder
¾ tsp red chili powder
¼ tsp Punjabi garam masala
1 tsp amchur powder
1 tsp fennel powder/saunf powder
2 medium sized onions, finely sliced
3 tbsp oil
few chopped coriander leaves for garnish – optional
salt as required
Bharwa Karela Making Method:
|Bharwa Karela - Punjabi Famous Food|
- Rinse and peel the karela.
- Make a vertical cut on each karela keeping the base intact.
- Remove the seeds and pith with your hands or scrape with a small spoon.
- Mix all the dry spice powders with salt.
- Stuff the spice powder mix in the karela.
- Tie a thread tightly around each karela.
- Heat the oil and fry the karela in the oil till they are browned and cooked.
- In the same oil, add the sliced onions and fry them till they begin to brown.
- Add the karela and saute till they the onions become crisp and golden.
- Add the rest of the spice mix, if there is a left over.
- In case if you have added less salt in the spice mix, you can add them now.
- While serving remove the thread and serve garnished with chopped coriander leaves.
- Bharwa karela is best had with some Rotis, Phulkas or as a side vegetable dish with dal-rice.